Fancy a chilli that's paleo and easy to make? Here you go, perfect easy comfort food ....
It's that time of year when 'comfort food' becomes the main thought process behind my meal planning every week! And I love chilli, you can't go wrong but I don't always have the time to make one on the hob. And I was struggling to know how to make a chilli and get rid of the usual rice. Then I had a brain wave - cook sweet potato in the chilli ... and make it in the slow cooker!
I have a detachable pot slow cooker so I can brown things off on the hob first before doing the slow cooking, which for this recipe is really handy. If you don't have that, just do the first part in a normal saute pan then transfer it into the slow cooker for the main slow cooking.
I personally sometimes add a can of red kidney beans to this chilli - not Paleo I know *but* the kids absolutely love them and it does feel admittedly more authentic. If you are keeping 100% Paleo, just add another pepper instead of the kidney beans.
I suggest you whip up a batch of gaucemole (http://www.healthyperspective.co/recipes/side-dishes/guacamole-825) to go with it, or steam some green veg, whatever takes your fancy!
|1 tbsp coconut oil|
|1 large onion|
|5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped|
|1 red pepper|
|1 green pepper (or substitute for 1 can kidney beans in water, drained)|
|2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm cubes|
|2 cans chopped tomatoes|
|1 to 2 tsp hot chilli powder (to taste)|
|1 tsp paprika|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1/2 tsp dried majoram|
|Salt and pepper (1/2 tsp each)|
1. Heat the slow cooker pot over a low-medium heat and melt the coconut oil (use a saucepan if your slow cooker pot isn't removable!).
2. Add the onions and sweat down for 5 minutes until turning soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the mince, turn up the heat a little and brown the meince, breaking up big bits with a wooden spoon.
4. Return the slowcooker pot to it's base (or pour the saucepan contents into your slowcooker).
5. Add all remaining ingredients and stir well.
6. Put lid on and cook for 6 hours on LOW.