I'm not talking converting everyone in the world to Paleo (lovely as that would be) but how do we fight against the tide of poor dietary advice we've all grown up against? Some of the UK people who are 'in the know' give their thoughts here ...
How can you convert the general public,loved ones,friends to a Paleo/healthier way of life?
Most people who fall into Paleo (imho) do so because they break (health-wise), or want to heal naturally, or are desperate to lose weight or want to muscle up (correct me if I'm wrong there!). Those who don't 'do Paleo' often see it as too big a jump from their modern western diet, think it's too expensive, too much meat (!), or think it's dangerous(!), or don't think the family will support them (the list goes on) .... can they be converted, should they be converted and if so, how?
Jo Romero, Comfort Food Bites
If they're interested and want to know more, I tell them to just make a few changes to begin with, if that's what they're more comfortable with. Avoiding processed food, refined sugar and adding in more veggies are usually the first things they'll try. Then I've found that often they've started to see results in themselves too and they might take it a step further into full paleo if they want to.
There's never any pressure, they have to want to do it for themselves if they want to. I'm often told that this way of eating must be more expensive, but I always say that it's evened out really because I'm not buying all the starchy, sugary junk food I used to and going for veggies, seafood and meat instead.
Izabella Natrins - Food Health Lifestyle
We are SO ingrained with 'there's a pill (or operation) for every ill' culture, that getting the message over that food-is-medicine, that it will likely take generations to change mindsets. In my experience, most people only really start listening when they break (and some don't, even then) but they struggle to take committed inspiration.
And (and it sounds a bit cliched now) by actually walking the talk yourself and quietly demonstrating the change you want to see. I'm hoping to live well into a vital,energetic 90s as proof of the pudding.... tho' I don't particularly want to look like one! :) As for kids - maybe the only thing you can do is stick to your knitting 80% of the time and make it clear that the other 20% are treats!
Donna Crous, Eighty 20 Nutrition
Mark Whelan, Paleo Castle
Vanessa Woozley, The Life Sutra
I don't think we can (or even should) try to convert other people to paleo or any other diets. It has to come from their own desire to change, so for me it's about educating and showing a good example which may eventually inspire them. They will take action whenever they are ready but we have to accept that some people - unfortunately - may never get there. I've decided not to waste my time and energy for people who aren't interested.