Why on earth would you put spinach into a smoothie? What are the benefits of doing so?
A question I've been asked a lot is why on earth would you put spinach (or anything green for that matter!) into a smoothie, so here goes my top 10 reasons:
1. You don't taste it (honestly!) – keep the ratio of fruit to veg at 60:40 and you can't go far wrong! I find it the least flavoured of all the green veg I've used so far so its taste is easy to mask
2. It's very nutrient dense – low calorie, high levels of vitamins & minerals
3. The high levels of magnesium & iron are great for energy regulation
4. It contains a good dose of protein & dietary fibre
5. Spinach is high in antioxidants & is known to lower the risk of cancer
6. It's great for promoting good gut health
7. It is anti-inflammatory - good news if you have arthritis, osteoporosis, migraines, asthma etc
8. It helps keep your brain young (I need all the help I can get with that haha!)
9. The iron is great for boosting the quality of your blood – it has certainly made a big difference for me!
10. Research has shown that raw spinach in smoothies is the healthiest way and easiest way for your body to digest it
Try to buy organic if you can, spinach is known for retaining high pesticide levels even after washing.
So, what's holding you back?! Crack on and make yourself a green smoothie with some super spinach in, you won't regret it :-)
If you have a favourite recipe using spinach, add a link in the comments below!